As a player, Derek was a two time Parade and NSCAA All-America honoree representing the United States Youth National Team in the…
- FIFA U16 World Cup in China PR, U17 Valentin A. Granatkin Memorial International Youth Football Championship in the Soviet Union, played international friendlies in Canada & Mexico, was a member of the CONCACAF U19 Qualification Tournament Championship Team in Trinidad that went on to the FIFA World Youth Championship in Chile.
- As a striker for the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, Derek received numerous individual and teams honors. He was the inaugural Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament MVP, selected All ACC & All South multiple times, and a key member of North Carolina’s first Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Team, Final Four Team and captain of the 1989 & 1990 ACC & NCAA Tournament Teams.
- Derek led the University of North Carolina in scoring four consecutive years (1987-1990) and the Atlantic Coast Conference multiple times. He was the first and one of two UNC men’s soccer letterman to do so in the 63 year history of the program.
- He is the University of North Carolina’s all-time leader in goals scored and career points placing him as one of the top scorers in Atlantic Coast Conference history.
- Derek had the privilege to train and play for these esteemed coaches during his playing career: Angus McAlpine, John Cossaboon, Manny Schellscheidt, Dieter Ficken, Frank Schnur, John Rennie, Jay Miller, Derek Armstrong, Elmar Bolowich, and Anson Dorrance
Derek earned a Bachelor’s of Arts from the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill and a Master Degree with Honors from Texas Christian University. He is married to Susan and the proud father of two girls; Gabriella (11) and Alexis (8) residing in Southlake, TX.